Garter Stripe Blanket - Finished!!!

When I last posted about my spectrumey, garter stripe blanket project, it was nearly done - I had finished all the coloured stripes, and I had finished the natural cream wool garter border. Since then, I've added a gray i-cord edging, woven in all the ends, and taken a few ton of glamour shots! First, some details about the i-cord edging. I'm kind of an i-cord fanatic. It's so simple, but it look so professional and tidy! I certainly could have called the blanket "finished" after the natural garter borders, but I'm thrilled with how the i-cord edge looks.

I love the Purlbee's attached i-cord tutorial, here. For this blanket, I used a 3 stitch i-cord edge. Whenever the item I'm adding i-cord to is round, I cast on provisionally (I like this crochet cast on), so that when I get back to where I started, I can undo the provisional cast on and graft the two ends together. Be careful - grafting top to bottom a little bit tricker than normal kitchener stitch. The best visualization I've seen is on a fellow Raveler's project page: check it out here!

So! I worked the 3 stitch i-cord edging all around the blanket, skipping an edge stitch every inch and a half or so in order not to stretch out the garter stitch and keep everything nice and tidy. I used Briggs & Little Heritage yarn in medium gray, leftover from an Owls sweater I made a few years ago.

One or two other specs, in case you'd like to make something like this: I cast on as many stitches as would fit on my longest circular needle (174, it turns out). I knit 20 rows/10 ridges in garter stitch per colour, x 10 colours, for 20 coloured stripes. Then I picked up along the long edges of the blanket (200 stitches per side: 1 stitch in each garter ridge), and worked 20 rows/10 ridges in cream yarn. On the short edges, I worked the same 20 rows of garter in cream (I left the coloured stitches live, and picked up 10 stitches from each top edge of the cream borders from the long side). Finally, I added the i-cord.

Without further ado, behold! A TON OF PHOTOS!

IMG_3411

My cat, Miss New Zealand, *really* wants the blanket to be hers. Any time I lay it out, she climbs on and settles in immediately.

IMG_3410

IMG_3412

IMG_3415

IMG_3416

Once I wrestled it away from her adorable napping self, I took the blanket outside for a little photoshoot! I definitely plan to enjoy more cups of tea on my balcony with the blanket.

IMG_3441

IMG_3444

IMG_3446

I think it works inside, too!

IMG_3448

Guess who popped over for blanket time?

IMG_3454

Lastly, a few shots of the wrong side of the fabric - for full disclosure!

IMG_3450

IMG_3453

IMG_3456

I think I've come a very long way from the very first blanket I ever knit, which I pulled out of the closet this week. I made this old blanket in stages, in 2003-2004. I knit big, garter stitch squares on straight needles, and then seamed them (very, very badly) together. The yarn is this crazy, neon, bouclé stuff that I really loved back then... (Lion Brand Bouclé Multi, to be precise.) I remember many pleasant evenings working on it, while living in university residence and watching Law & Order with my college friends.

IMG_3457

I'm glad I still have it, first because it's serviceable and warm (and machine washable!), and because it's nice to compare it to my most recent blanket project and think about how much I've grown as a knitter and a person in the ten years between these two big, soft pieces of knitted fabric.

I find blankets to be such satisfying projects, even if they can take a long time. I've already started another one, with a different pattern (and a different yarn weight)! More details about that another day :)